Sunday, April 29, 2007

All in the details

Sunday April 29, 2007

I was thinking today that when I look out the windows, there is nothing spectacular to catch your eye. Lots of green.. trees, grass, some plants, sky. I've often thought about how you see so much more through the eye of a camera than with your naked eye. What you see through that eye are the details.. the things that often get unnoticed. - These wild things from the yard are so small and yet so beautiful.

These flowers are no bigger than my fingernail.. hardly noticeable as you walk across the lawn.

A close up of a flower sometmes reveals things that I've never seen before.. the fine veining, the subtle color changes.. the fine hairs on some, the abundant pollen. I love the tiny wild flowers. So many of the wild flowers are small and seemingly insignificant, but when you look at them closely they are beautiful and complex. It seems as though that the way with our lives sometimes, also.









A tree full of oranges and blossoms smells incredible even from a distance. Close up you see how thick and almost waxy the petals of the bloom are - and how quickly after the bloom fades the tiny oranges begin.

The crepe myrtles are beautiful, reminding me of northern lilacs. Close up they have amazingly frilly petals and long graceful stamens.

We get up, go through the motions of the day, we sleep. Along the way, the details can make the difference between just another day and a day that feels ultimately satisfying..

I've been blessed to have grandchildren – now grown – who live fairly near me. I can look from a distance, or I can step in closer and see some of the fine details of their lives and who they really are. All 3 of my grandchildren have extraordinarily loving hearts. I see neighbors day to day and we seldom exchange more than a wave or hello. What lost opportunity. We don't need to know the details of others lives, but we miss out on the best when we don't get to know who people really are –

9 comments:

Sigrun said...

Linda, you have two blogs with the same Name? Now I am irritated. Where should I post?

Sigrun

LindaD said...

Sigrun - and all. I am sorry for the mix up in the blogs. I've had a difficult time because blogger has switched most over to the "new" format.. somehow they couldn't or didn't combine mine, so this seems to be where it sticks for now. Thanks for visiting though. I was so frustrated with it that I didn't post for a long time.

Anonymous said...

Hey there! How have you been? Thanks for linking to me, I'll do the same for you tomorrow when I blog again.

Rusty in Miami said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, is good to know another Florida blogger.

Kerri said...

I love the little wildflowers too. I found a "new to me" yellow one last week! Your pictures are beautiful. I can almost smell the orange blossoms...heavenly! And the crepe myrtles..just gorgeous. I don't think I've ever seen one except in pictures.
Yes, we see so many details through the eye of the camera.
I thoroughly enjoyed your descriptions and memories of going "uptown"!
Spring is finally giving us warm sunshine (along with chilly breezes).

Sigrun said...

Linda, when I use your new link, I come to this blog. What can we do?

Sigrun

Lori said...

Great pictures! Great post.

Michael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael said...

lovely pictures, linda. you're right about photography's ability to reveal what our fickle eye sometimes misses in life.

i answered your question about foxgloves back in my post:
Foxgloves