Monday, January 14, 2008

The Bread Store

January 14, 2008

Its always so peaceful and beautiful along the small road. Not many people drive through here, perhaps because the speed limit is so slow. You have to want to see everything to choose to drive 25 MPH. There are these little strips of land and small islands within the water all along both sides of the road. The water goes very deep away from the road, reachable only by boat.

Just like a trip to the bread store is just an excuse to drive through my "bird alley", the name is just an excuse to talk about the park. SaddleCreek Park is simply a 25 mph road which goes through many acres surrounded by and filled with water, divided by small strips of land and small little islands. It was created by strip mining for phosphates. I'm told most of these are very deep and lots of fishermen go there hoping to catch the big one.

There are aligators, but apparently well fed on fish and/or birds since there has never been an incident involving people. I can't imagine many fish surviving here with all the birds. Each time I drive through (with camera in purse) there are birds everywhere.



At one entrance to the area there are usually hundreds of big black vultures. I suspect they are hoping that the fishermen will have cleanings for them. I think my favorite birds are the big great blue herons. It was surprising to find how deep blue the markings on their head and wings were.. amazingly beautiful. I love when the wind blows and you can see all those fine little feathers. The little mud hens, or gallinules... or coots are all around the water's edge - rather skittish and swimming away as soon as you approach. I've noticed the herons will slowly edge up to a quiet, sitting fisherman. Perhaps also in hopes of a handout. The sand hill cranes have become rather people friendly over the past few years. You can come within 30-40 feet, quietly and slowly, before they begin to edge away.


There is one kingfisher who is usually on a wire in one section. He's difficult to catch for a photo as he 's always on the move looking for insects. The cormorants look so funny to me. They find a spot and stand for so long spread winged to dry their feathers. I read they are also called the snake bird.. when in the water the only thing showing is their neck and head.. just as a snake. I was surprised to find how beautifully their feathers are marked.

3 comments:

Kerri said...

I enjoyed your description of that delightful drive, and your bird photos are a real treat. I especially love the one of the heron.
Your kingfisher's profile reminds me of our Aussie Kookaburra...they're in the kingfisher family too. I think jays are as well, if I remember correctly.
I saw cormorants doing that up in Maine at Arcadia National Park. With those long necks they do resemble snakes :)

Kerri said...

Hi Linda, Just saying hello here because I don't have your e-amil address at the moment. My computer is down!
Thankfully, hubby is letting me use his and I finally managed to get another post done. I haven't been finding much spare time for blogging this summer. The garden is keeping me very busy.
You'd love this summer up here. The weather has been beautiful, with the exception of a few too many thunderstorms.
Hope all is well.
xoxo

Anonymous said...

People should read this.