Sunday, January 06, 2008

Seasons

To everything there is a season. If we cooperate with the seasons instead of going against them, how much more pleasant our journey is. Last night I was considering picking an orange from a neighbor's tree. He offered 'all we would like' since they didn't use many of them. It was such a kind, generous offer and yet they are just out of reach. I thought about years gone past when it would have been nothing to jump up and grab a branch to bring them within reach. I can go without, or take a small stool over there and reach them - carefully.

In Florida our gardening times seem to be opposite most of the rest of the county. In summer heat, we slack off a bit because no one wants to be out there gardening any more than required. Fall and spring are wonderful. Excellent weather, happy plants. Winter - now till the end of March is a big difficult. Days are nice enough to want to be outside and yet if you prune or plant tender little things now, you'll feel guilty and go right back to filling in those spaces with something else, namely food.

The other morning I went out with the idea of enjoying each day holding whatever was meant to be at this time of year.

The first thing was such a beautiful sunrise Christmas morning. I thought what comes to my mind each time I wake up very early "Early in the Morning will I rise up and greet thee" I love that thought when I can't sleep early in the morning. When I get up and go out, this is one of the rewards. We drove a few miles to the park nearby and on the way was a spectacular sight. The wild orange trumpet vines has escaped and grows wild here and there. I believe this tree is about 70 feet high and festooned (such a descriptive word) with masses of this beautiful vine. The sun catches it perfectly in early morning and draws your attention.There were 3 sand hill cranes feeding and resting near one of the small areas of water. Many of them nest at the end of our road. When we're outside early we hear their 'conversations' as they prepare and go off to their feeding grounds. We joke that Mom is making sure her kids are prepared for the day and aware of the dangers. They are extremely loud and 'talk' constantly. These 3 allowed me to come within 20 feet without becoming nervous. I think this must have been Dad as he continued to stand even when the others sat down to rest.


We went to see our daughter Susan who always has beautiful roses. No matter what our weather there are some roses that seem to flourish 12 months of the year. This one starts with a perfect yellow bud and opens brilliant orange, gradually turning into a perfect deep pink. I never noticed this tiny inhabitant of the rose until when I took the photo out of the camera.
These red roses are always perfect - dark dark red with such a velvety texture and amazing fragrance. When we worked together doing medical billing from her house we would occasionally bring one inside and it would stay fresh looking well over a week. Sadly the name of the rose is long missing.
As we came home, the sky was beautiful - filled with all sorts of glorious colors. It was bring yellows, oranges, turning to beautiful lavenders and pinks and blues.. The days have been very cold, many people lost lots of their tender plants. We were blessed and only lost a few leaves and branch tips here and there. Looking at a day like this makes me thing of my own life. I can lament the loss of things that no longer are in my life, or I can open my eyes and see the amazing opportunities each day holds.. with beauty just as fulfilling as anything gone by.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

Each season brings its own beauty. Those skies are glorious, and how lucky you are down there to see roses all year 'round. That's an amazing array of shades the orange rose has, and the red roses are wonderful.
I'd like to see those sand hill cranes in person, and the trumpet vines high up in the tree tops...just gorgeous!
Thanks for the lovely Christmas greetings :) I hope you had a wonderful holiday and that the new year will be rich with joy and blessings.